What You Need To Be A California Insurance Adjuster?
Apply for your California Insurance Adjuster License
A. License qualification
- The applicant must be 18 or older
- The business of each licensee must be operated under the active direction of the licensee
- The qualified manager (person in charge of the business) is not required to be a California resident but they must meet the requirements stated in Cal. Ins. Code Section 14029(a)
- Have 2 years of verifiable experience in the insurance adjusting field
- California resident independent insurance adjusters must complete continuing education of 24 hours including 3 hours of ethics
B. Submit the required forms
- Individuals and Business Entities can visit sircon.com or NIPR.com and request a new license.
- Individual license applicants can also fill out LIC 041-A form and business entities may use LIC 042-A form.
- If you open other locations in California, you must apply for a Branch Office Certificate
C. California Insurance Adjuster Bond
A bond is mandated by Sections 14050 and 14051 of the California Insurance Code.
The purpose of this bond is to ensure “the faithful and honest conduct of business by the Principal, and every person injured by the willful, malicious, or wrongful act of the Principal may bring an action on this bond in her or his own name to recover damages suffered by reason of such willful, malicious, or wrongful conduct.”
The Cost Of A California Insurance Adjuster Bond
The penal sum of the bond is $2,000. The bond premium is a small fraction of the penal sum of the bond that will be paid to the surety company. It could be as little as 5% of the penal sum of the bond. This can depend on the applicant’s credit score and the surety company.
D. Submit Fingerprints
Here are the fingerprint requirements and fees. You can get fingerprinted at any California examination site where you will be assigned.
E. Pass the Exam
You will be required to take a 100-question exam. The total duration of the California Department of Insurance’s Insurance Adjuster (independent) license examination is up to 2 hours and 30 minutes for examinees.
F. Pay any applicable fees
- License Application Fee (2-year term) – $311 per qualified manager.
- Examination Fee – $79
- Branch Office Certificate – $52
- Fingerprint Fee
A California Insurance Adjuster license is valid for up to 2 years.
Renewing Your California Insurance Adjuster License
Before the 2-year period is up, the California Department of Insurance (CDI) will send you a renewal notification e-mail. The email notification will include the following:
- Your license number
- Your license term
- Your license type
- Other information regarding any continuing education requirements
https://www.insurance-schools.com/California_Adjuster_License_Course.aspx – Test Preparation Courses
https://candidate.psiexams.com/catalog/fti_agency_license_details.jsp?fromwhere=findtest&testid=2540 – Test Registration at PSI Site
http://www.insurance.ca.gov/0200-industry/0050-renew-license/0200-requirements/insurance-adjuster.cfm CDOI Insurance Adjuster Licensing Page
http://www.insurance.ca.gov/0200-industry/0030-seek-pre-lic/upload/ExamObjectivesAJ.pdf – CDOI Exam Objectives